When I used to hear someone say that they were making a ‘chicken cordon bleu’, I automatically assumed that they had to be some great, fancy chef. Little did I know that it’s actually very easy to make, and now we can all be those so-called great fancy chefs!!
Naturally, I have to add my own ‘college approach’ and transform this meal into a panini!
2 slices of French bread (any kind will do)
1/4 lb. of deli style Chicken Breast lunchmeat (sliced normal)
2-3 slices of Prosciutto or deli style Ham (sliced thin)
2 slices of Swiss, Havarti or Gruyere cheese
1. Spread the honey mustard on both slices of the French bread.
2. Add one slice of cheese to one slice of the bread.
3. Start layering half of the chicken lunchmeat on top of the cheese.
4. Then add the prosciutto or ham.
5. Add the rest of the chicken lunchmeat.
6. Top it off with the second slice of cheese.
7. Lastly, add your second slice of bread.
8. Grill on the panini for 2-3 minutes (long enough for the insides to be warm and melty and for the outsides to be crunchy).
Layering order: Bread, honey mustard, cheese, chicken, prosciutto, chicken, cheese, honey mustard, and bread.
If you have extra time and want to use chicken breasts, grill it on the panini for 8-10 minutes and then layer it in the sandwich in place of the deli lunchmeat. Although, it usually tastes better if the chicken is lightly breaded. You could also make your own dressing, by using equal amounts of honey and mustard, with a splash of lemon juice, and a small spoonful of mayonnaise (if you like horseradish then add a little of that too)! This is one of those recipes you can substitute the ingredients depending on your tastes/preferences!
Guys, this would go great with a beer! And ladies too!