For all you Vegans and Vegetarians out there- I have a great panini for you! This recipe includes a major flavor booster: hummus! My favorite type of hummus is one with extra lemon and lots of garlic. Hummus is extremely easy to make. It simply consists of using a food processor to blend garbanzo beans, lemon, tahini, garlic, salt, olive oil, an optional jalapeño, and paprika for looks! If you are unfamiliar with the ingredient tahini, it is a grounded sesame seed paste that originated from the Middle East. On the other hand, store-bought hummus is also a great option because of the various flavors! You can leave it as is or make it your own by adding more lemon, crushed red pepper, etc. Roasted garlic, jalapeño, and roasted red pepper are amongst my personal favorites.
Depending on your tastes and veggies you want to add into this panini, you can alter the type of hummus you use too!
Your favorite vegan bread or lavash wrap
Any hummus you’d like
Lettuce (or Spinach or Arugula)
Salt and Pepper
1. Cut and clean your red pepper and onion into slices
2. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper
3. Grill on the panini for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables become tender
5. Cut tomatoes and cucumbers into slices
6. Wash and chop lettuce
4. Spread hummus on both slices of bread or lavash wrap
5. Add the grilled red pepper and onion to bread or lavash
6. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce
7. Wrap your lavash or add your second piece of bread
8. Grill in the panini for 3 minutes
9. Cut in halves and then serve
The colors in this panini are fantastic!!
TIP: Before adding the veggies inside the sandwich, grill them on the panini to enhance their flavor!